Paper collage, objects, ink, crayons
I went to my 25th year High School reunion. It had moments of the same (when I went to my 18th..yeah we had an 18th because it was rumored that our class president Desiree actually stole the reunion funds and we never had a 10th or a 15th)
let’s note the evening:
- My wife Jess and I arrive and we are greeted by Kathy Wert who does recognize me :). We frequent her family owned cafe on the occasion best crab fries.
- Jess and I were given three drink tickets each and she stepped up to the bar and asked for a bottle of wine and then corrected herself and got a glass instead ( and for the first time didn’t get carded..she didn’t have ID anyways) I on he other hand just had cranberry juice.
- Eventually Jess and I met up with my buddy Chuck and his girlfriend Melissa and hung with them for most of the evening. Chuck and I decided to get our picture taken with the mascot the angry bird Canary
- Chuck made a comment on the food being finger food (but it was good, Pat Slattery was on mark..the Quesadillas, Boneless wings, the spinach dip, the pizza..yummy..Jess drinks the wine and makes the remark..Did you guys play the spanking game (which was in fact a neighborhood made up game called stilly) but Jess was like ya know that game where you go around spanking each other ?..which Chuck and I had a chuckle over and Chuck later asked if Jess was a lightweight when it came to drinking, Yeah pretty much one glass will do it,
- Our reunion was on a bi-level bar at Rascals food & Fun. The overcrowded bar and Band on the first floor and seating and food on the balcony where we pretty much spent most of the evening. Although Jess and I ventured down to watch and maybe dance to the 80′s while the band M80 played. We are better at dancing to swing music and music from the 60′s, 80′s music is more listening music…I didn’t really want to dance and i was nudged from behind by my old friend Herb Washington..he was doing the bump with me..funny guy so Jess and I shaked our tail feathers for a song or two.
- Jess and I then headed back upstairs to mingle with My old friend Mike Nichols who posed with me in a distinguished look but he thought that word made us sound old so I changed it to scholarly.
- Jess had to tell Mike that three years ago she remembered seeing him with his Mom at til Tuesday shoppe. Mike later asked Jess and I if we were having fun and we agreed. Jess said she had a hard time talking to people but Mike reassured her that even as someone who graduated he too could be at a loss. I think that made her a bit more comfortable.
- We then mingled with my friend Scott Snyder and his wife Megan and Jess popped over and said “I am a Snyder now too !” I blame the wine Eventually Jess and I just planted ourselves in various spots on the balcony with the occasional person popping by to say hi, give a hug, try to play catch up. Sorry Tom Kase but my hearing sucks and with the band playing I had a hell of a time making out what you were saying to me..hence why I friended you on Facebook.
- Here I am with Dawn who stooped down to pose with me. I thought she was tall but it was just her heels. I didn’t know Dawn in HS but I met her at our 18th year reunion.
- Got a big Hug from my old friend Rich Hyde who I’ve known since 1975 and then his Girlfriend Leah Cressman walked past to hug me. And even though Leah and I have been friends the last 5 years now (she was radiant and i just didn’t recognize her for some reason and looked at her tag) I didn’t know Leah in HS either but she was best friends with Liann Malgadey who I had a major crush on in I Junior year English class. I later kidded Leah and tried to look at her name tag again and she called me an ass and punched me in the arm with a smile
- After Leah, Chuck saw another friend of ours from the 70′s named Tom Kasunic. Although Tom and I don’t really seem like a fit these days and even though I shook his hand I also got a bit of a brush off AND he spilled his beer on me (I would hope by accident)
My buddy Sonya and her GF Melissa arrived and we bantered back and forth a bit. Wouldn’t ya know it Jess and Melissa are the same age. Yup Sonya and I are in the rob the cradle club Funny enough Sonya mentioned about how bad the bathing suits were for swimming during gym and that the ladies boobs popped out..
- Then this guy appeared and said to me. “Just wait for it you’ll get it. ” But he wasn’t wearing a name tag so I had no clue till he spoke a bit more and bam. It was my buddy Joe Koury. Back then I didn’t wear glasses and he did and now we are the opposite. Ha ! He knew me though immediately.
Ran into someone else I knew from 1975-1988 Mary Jo Roma ne Brinker. We tried to talk but the band made me even more deaf than I already am. It was nice to see her though and she does Marketing. Someone I might need down the line.
Moseyed over to a table to grab a photo with my FB buddy Cris Tartaglia who I think I had a few classes with in 9th & 10th grade.
- Was hard to reminisce with people that I just shared classes with nothing too remotely personal. Honestly the only person who I remained in contact with over the last 25 years didn’t even come to the reunion. Kroeger Iobst will be up for a visit next month.
- Lastly I spoke with Howie Linchuk who had a real odd look about him. Always a bit of humorist that Howie. Howie and I threw packets of butter on the ceiling in senior year lunch to see how long they would stay there in the cafeteria annex. Be real disgusting if they were still there ! Howie was sporting a quirky mustache and he told me it was fake and he was on stilts cos he was short and that he wanted to have different persona at the reunion..either way..it was cool to see him and his fiance.
- By 9:40 I was actually getting tired and Sonya asked me what time it was and she thought it was at least 11PM. That’s how ya know 43 crept up to ya. Feeling sleepy before 10 PM. Jess and I snapped a photo of the two of us and headed home by 10ish. I had a great time with lot’s of great people I hadn’t seen in forever. Although we had a very large class and not everyone does social media. I realize that it would be a huge undertaking to try to find ALL of our classmates but the committee should try to make the effort with the internet it should be a bit easier to look up and find people to contact more formally. Also Bill Minahan did a memorial for Kyle Miller and I took the time to Memorialize of a few of our classmates that have passed away too too early, I really think it would be super cool if they were actually remembered somehow at the reunion itself by picture (i am sure someone still has a year book to scan from) or by Memorial. Perhaps it will happen at the next reunion.
- william allen highschool class of 1988- social whore (previously invisible dork who knew kids from all cliques) ~Matt Snyder
Stan doesn’t get a chance to take a ride with the Demon Mafia instead he wakes up yet again while sleeping on the job at work..But the question remains..is he still actually asleep ? And for that matter what of his fiance and that naked guy in his apartment ?The Humorous nightmare continues…
Ink & Crayon
As our story progress’s after Stan wakes up from his nightmare and finds a note in his bed from his fiance Pam he has a cryptic phone call with Pam and a strange man on the other end.